February 18, 2006

Political Reputations Need to be Brought into the 21st Century

February 18, 2006

Mark E. Morchel, Esq.
Deputy County Counsel
County of Hudson
Office of the County Counsel
Department of Law
Administration Building Annex
567 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Dear Mr. Morchel:

I want to thank you as well as commend you and your staff for providing me access to public records in a timely and professional manner.

On February 6, 2006 I placed an Open Public Records Request to the county clerk in which I sought an electronic file of a complete list of Hudson County resolutions for 2005. I was promptly informed by you, through a message left on my voice mail, that the county did not have such a list, but you would work to compile it. I believe you used the words “we’ll bring Hudson County into the 21st century”.

As I’m sure you're aware, the OPRA only applies to existing records and you were not required to compile information for me, yet you did and at no cost to me.

Having been made to file 15 OPRA complaints with the Government Records Counsel against my home county of Union your approach to open government was refreshing to say the least.

Former Governor Brendan Byrne should be alerted to the need for him to bring his burial wishes into the 21st century. If Byrne still has political ambitions to stay active in politics after his death, he will have to change his plans and move his burial site to Union County.

Sincerely,


Tina M. Renna
President
Union County Watchdog Association, Inc.


cc: Thomas A. DeGise, County Executive
Alberto G. Santos, Clerk of the Board